- The word ''garnet'' means dark red.
- Garnet is actually the name of a group of minerals that can come in a variety of colors, with red being the most common.
- It symbolizes friendship and trust.
- If your birthstone is a garnet, you may be smart, outgoing, courageous, generous, and ambitious.
- Amethyist is the purple variation of the quartz family and is the most valuable variation as well.
- Most amethyst stones on the market today are heat-treated.
- For years, the amethyst has been thought to help prevent someone from being drunk and/or help someone overcome a substance addiction.
- Amethyst is associated with purity, positive thoughts, protection, victory, intelligence, and healing.
- The word ''aquamarine'' is derived from the Latin words for water and sea.
- Aquarmine gemstones typically come in a vibrant blue-green color.
- The aquamarine has been thought to assist sailors at sea and safely bring them home.
- Aquamarine is associated with happiness, luck, good health, peace, and a calm mind.
- The diamond is the hardest natural substance known to man.
- In medieval Europe, diamonds were thought to be poisonous.
- The diamond was believed to be a gift from the gods.
- Diamond is associated with protection, purification, innocence, love, stubborness, and peace.
- The emerald is the most highly prized gem of the Beryl family.
- Most emerald mined today is very opaque and brittle.
- The emerald is also a symbol of good luck and health.
- Emerald is associated with unity, compassion, love, understanding, and beauty.
- Pearls are one of the only gems that are created by a living creature.
- Pearls were very popular with European and Indian royalty.
- Pearl is associated with sensitivity, humor, innocence, tune with the natural world, and being naive.
- The word ''ruby'' comes from the Latin word ''ruber'', which means red.
- The ancients believed that a ruby thrown into a pot of water would cause it to boil immediately.
- The ruby is also though to attract and reciprocate unconditional love.
- Ruby is associated with royalty, power, wealth, fearlessness, self-confidence, success, and good fortune.
- The ancient Romans believed the peridot could glow in the moonlight and called it the ''evening emerald''.
- Peridot was also believed to help make dreams come true and ward off evil spirits during the night.
- Peridot is one of the only gemstones to occur in just one color (green).
- Peridot is associated with good luck, peace, success, sleep, protection, and good health.
- Sapphire is the main variety of the mineral called corundum.
- If a sapphire is red, it's a ruby.
- The sapphire is a symbol of loyalty and trust.
- Sapphire is associated with loyalty, trust, tranquility, peace, amiability, purity, calmness, and kindness.
- Opals can be found in many different colors, including blue, red, yellow, and white.
- The opal is a symbol of hope.
- The opal was often reserved for the use of royalty alone a long time ago.
- Opal is associated with hope and bad luck to anyone who is not born in the month of October.
- A topaz is an orange and yellow variety of quartz.
- Another birthstone variety for the month of November is citrine.
- Topaz is associated with good health, pleasure, positivity, and happiness.
- The turquoise holds a promiment place in the Native American culture.
- Turquoise is usually found in dry, arid regions.
- Turquoise is associated with prosperity, good fortune, wisdom, and protection from evil.