Saturday, February 20, 2016

Utahnics

Hi! ^-^

You might not know this already, but I'm from Arizona.

I lived there for the first four years of my life. Then we moved to Utah.

And here in Utah, we pronounce things differently than other Americans do.

So, if you've ever wanted to learn how to talk like a Naffy Taffy, here's how! xD

MOUNTAIN = MOW'UN

Yep. We often skip the T in mountain.


BUTTON = BUH'UN

Same thing with button.


SHERBET = SHERBERT

My mom is always asking me how to pronounce sherbet correctly. I tell her it's "sherbet", but she doesn't believe me, so we both go back to saying "sherbert".


PRESCRIPTION = PERSCRIPTION

Speaking of which, I need to go take my daily dose.


PREDICTABLE = PERDICTABLE

That was "perdictable".


CROSSED/ACROSS = CROSST/ACROSST

I swam "acrosst" the river, so I "crosst" the river. Get it? No? Okay.


CREEK = CRIK

My grandma is a real sucker for this one. Every time she tries to say the word creek it comes out as "crik". :I


ROOT = WRUT


Another word my grandma needs to practice.


PICTURE = PITCHER

Yet ANOTHER word on my grandma's list of vocabulary to work on.


LIBRARY = LIEBARRY

"Mooommm! I wanna go to the LIEBARRY!!!"


FEBRUARY = FEBUARY

I am the only person who feels like this is mispronounced outside of Utah as well, or am I just crazy?


ESPRESSO = EXPRESSO

Blech. Coffee.


ESCAPE = EXSCAPE

You're free, little fishy!



That's all of the words I can think of for now. Let me know how YOU pronounce these words!

Thanks for reading. Have a great day!

10 comments:

  1. Here's some more that I thought of:

    Measure = mayzhure
    Mirror = mirr
    Kitten = ki'uhn
    Family = famlee
    Golly = gol' (mom and I say this one a lot)
    War = wor

    Replacement swear words include: frick/fudge/fetch/freak/flip/crap/dang/dang-it

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm from California and I pronounce some of those things the same way:
    -Sherbet (I always thought it was "sherbert")
    -Prescription
    -February
    -Espresso

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Same and I live in Cali too. But I also add "liebarry" to the list. :P

      Delete
  3. I'm from Virginia so I don't really say anything different but my grandma is from the north by Canada so she says things like you which is pretty cool because she's high up in the north and your down south, but I say February like you do (and that took me a while to spell February XD)
    -tiggy

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm from Canada so I spell the words the same but part of me pronounces some of the words kinda like you, I guess that's just me:P

    ReplyDelete
  5. My mom needs to work on pronunciation. Every time she says "sheet" it comes out as something else (not saying) because she has a heavy Korean accent, unlike me. ):D
    -crayonpop101

    ReplyDelete
  6. I am half canadian, and my granny pronunces stuff weirdly. (shes canadian) like sorry is pronounced sore-iey

    ReplyDelete
  7. I'm pretty sure the r in february is silent everywhere but england

    ReplyDelete

Before you make a comment, please consider using these rules. If any of them are disobeyed, your comment will be deleted immediately.

1. No swearing. The Animal Jam Whip needs to be kept a clean, safe environment for everyone to enjoy.
2. No rude/hateful/inappropriate/consistently negative or degrading comments. Even if it's just your opinion, anything unkind you say can be very hurtful.
3. No spamming. Spamming takes up space and makes the comment area/chat area messy.
4. No impersonating.
5. If you are commenting anonymously, please sign with your main username.

Thanks!